In-depth Learning Sessions can only be attended in-person and will not feature a virtual component.
Detailed and up-to-date overview of the gas industry developments in Australia, including natural gas supplies, regulatory changes, emission targets, LNG imports, hydrogen and renewable gas developments - and what all this is likely to mean for business and residential consumers.
Participate in a skilled interaction with expert leaders exploring the latest trends and changes impacting gas use, prices for gas and the future of the gas industry overall. This workshop will examine gases interaction with other energy use including electricity and liquid fuels. Learn strategies for navigating these changes and better predicting gas price trends, energy price impacts and long-term contracting strategies.
The session is designed for all professionals in the gas industry whose organisation will be impacted by movements in gas prices, gas use, investment in gas supply and infrastructure or who need to understand more about the future of the energy industry in Australia and policy decisions.
During the session you will:
- Consider business and residential gas price scenarios, demand/consumption changes, and the impacts on business and residential gas users
- Examine new gas supply options and supply constraints
- Look at the potential impacts of LNG regasification projects and the fight for east coast market share in a what may well become a high-risk market
- Get a detailed overview of hydrogen and renewable gas developments and opportunities
- Conduct a detailed analysis of the potential roles for gas in Australia in these rapidly changing scenarios and how these may eventuate
- Examine the potential role for gas and in particular hydrogen and renewable gases in power generation as intermittent renewable power generation bites
Adjunct Professor / Executive Director
University of Queensland Energy Initiative / Oakley Greenwood
This a master class for people in the gas/electricity space exploring the relationship between gas, gas prices, and the electricity sector.
During this session you will cover:
History of gas and electricity supply
- Why gas-fired generation never really reached expectations
- The gas shortage fears in the 2000s and the effect on electricity prices
- The coal-seam boom and the consequences for electricity supply
- Where we are now – i.e. at the doorstep of the renewable transition
The renewable transition and gas
- How has the advent of renewables changed the role of gas?
- The emergence of storage as a substitute for gas-fired generation
- The potential de-linkage of gas and electricity prices
- Is there a residual role for gas in the system?
Gas-electricity market dynamics
- Gas-electricity pricing dynamics
- How gas-fired generators make operational decisions
- Potential regulatory changes to the electricity market with consequences for gas-fired generation:
• 5-minute settlement
• The PRRO
• Carbon pricing
Looking to the future
Panel-style session on what the future might hold, and then open up the floor to questions and broader discussion.